About LRNA & Rosseau
The north end of Lake Rosseau has a prominent place in the history of Muskoka. At the turn of the century, several elegant hotels were built on Lake Rosseau's north shore to meet the demand of tourists visiting from all over North America. Regrettably, these beautiful wooden resorts have all disappeared, most leveled by fire. Besides tourism, the Village of Rosseau also thrived during the late 1800's and early 1900's from boat building - the initial home of the Ditchburn Boat Works. Today, the residents of Rosseau are rekindling the exuberance of the early pioneers. The village is experiencing an influx of new businesses and people, and promises to have an exciting future while maintaining its distinctive quaintness and character.
Lake Rosseau North Association's membership is derived mainly from seasonal residents of the north end, both from the east side (in the Township of Muskoka Lakes) as well as from the west side and the Village of Rosseau (in Seguin Township).
Over the decades, Muskoka has become one of the most popular locations for a seasonal residence, due in part to the combination of a magnificent lake system and beautiful rugged shoreline of granite and spectacular pine trees. The north end is one of the last areas to be developed, with several feet of shoreline still untouched.
The Lake Rosseau North Association was formed in 1982 to represent residents and cottagers that are in the North Lake Rosseau and surrounding area. One of Lake Rosseau North Association's primary mandates is to encourage the preservation of the natural Muskoka beauty unique to the north end, by promoting moderation in development and stressing the importance of maintaining environmental balances and ecosystems.
Photos courtesy of the Rosseau Historical Society. The top picture is of The Rosseau House also known as the Pratt's Hotel. It was built by William H. Pratt and his wife Lucy on May 19th, 1870. It was situated on Lot 15 on Ash Street East but faced onto Rice Street. It is considered one of the very first hotels on any of the Muskoka Lakes that attracted tourists to the area. Unfortunately it burnt down on October 6th, 1883 after operating for just over 13 years.
The middle picture is a view of Lake Rosseau from Pratt's hotel circ 1883.
The last picture is of the Monteith House which was located along the old Parry Sound Road (now HWY 141) facing the waterfront. It was in 1865 or 1866, when a Mr. John Beal obtained the land and built the log shanty, and in 1869 a Mr. Cooper bought the building for a staging hotel and in 1871 built the first frame addition. There were many owners over the years but the last owner Adolph Goodmund purchased the property from the Shopsowitzs in early 1950. And unfortunately the hotel as destroyed by fire on November 15th, 1950 after it was closed for the season.